There are so many ways to cope with stress, and you must find your way to deal, as it is very personal. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to coping with stress, there is the way that suits you and helps you best. So, just because meditation may work for your friend and might not work for you, doesn’t mean you are doing something wrong. Having said that, it is still worth trying out different things to find out the best way for you.
For some, it may be baking or dancing in their living room or even playing board games. Some people prefer to be alone, and others prefer to do things with other people. The list is endless.
For me, baking and puzzles always help me relax more than other things.
Here are some ideas you may want to try when coping with stress:
- Try to get more sleep – A good night’s sleep can make everything seem better, and you feel like you can tackle anything that comes your way. So, why not try putting some relaxing music on and closing your eyes or have a cup of herbal tea before bed or even some stretches and a hot shower, these are just some things that can help you sleep better.
- Talk to someone – don’t underestimate how much talking to someone can help. Having an excellent vent to someone always makes you feel better. Saying what is bothering you out loud enables you to deal with things better.
- Find a hobby – having a hobby that you love brings joy and fun into your life and when you are enjoying yourself, the stress in your life is minimised. Also an excellent outlet for when you are feeling very stressed.
- Try keeping a stress diary – some people may be better in writing than talking. This is also a type of venting and has the same effect as talking does. Seeing your feelings written down in front of you helps you deal better.
- Learn to say No – this is very important, as we tend to want to please everyone around us, as we don’t want to upset anyone. But sometimes doing that, we end up losing ourselves and doing things we may not like, which can make us unhappy and stressed. So, it is okay to say no and put yourself first. Please remember that.
- Manage your time. This one is also significant, in work and your personal life, when we have a lot to do, we get overwhelmed, which causes us to stress. Putting things in order, will give you direction and boost productivity, while also reducing long term stress.
As I mentioned above, these are just a few things to try. So take some time to find out which suits you best. Just to let you know, if you need someone to talk to, please feel free to contact me, and we can have a chat, I am here to listen.